Level 1 Award in Coaching Triathlon
The Level 1 Award in Coaching Triathlon (L1ACTRI) is the entry-level award into the Welsh Triathlon Coach Education Programme.
The level 1 qualification has been revised for 2016, and will allow a coach to lead and deliver (pre-planned) sessions or plan basic sessions on their own (reviewed by higher level coach) in a range of club environments (without the need to be directly supervised). You will gain the knowledge to adapt sessions to meet the needs of a variety of participants.
It has been specifically designed to provide a supporting and engaging environment for developing the fundamentals of coaching the sport, to equip you with the necessary skills and resources to start coaching.
The course is made up of:
- Two learning days - usually consecutive days
- A third day comprising a final practical coaching assessment, personal review and action planning
- Home study - around 10-14 hours over 3-4 weeks (including some pre-course work)
You will be required to complete home study online tasks, plan, deliver and review practical sessions (on course)
The course will focus on development key coaching skill including:
- How to communicate effectively
- How to engage athletes
- How to give quality meaningful feedback
You will also be introduced to the triathlon disciplines (swim, bike, run and transitions) and the basic skills to be coached. You will also cover athlete safety and welfare, session preparation, evaluation and reflection.
The course is supported by an online resource, which contains all the information required to complete the course, and develop your own coaching knowledge and skills.
- Learners must be at least 16 years of age at the commencement of the learning programme. Learners over 18 once qualified can work independently; those under 18 must have supervision.
- Be a member of a British Triathlon Home Nation. This is to provide you with appropriate insurance to cover your coaching practice.
- Have access to an internet connected device for the online resource. (link to coaches hub)
- You will be registered for the qualification for a period of 12 months from the start of the course. However, most learners complete in-line with the course duration.
On successful completion of the Level 1 Award, you will be able to:
- Engage and inspire people take part in triathlon.
- Safely organise and deliver triathlon activities for a range of ages and abilities, across a range of environments
- Demonstrate generic and triathlon specific coaching skills, good practice in coaching, athlete safety and welfare, equitable and inclusive coaching practice, and working with others.
The course fee includes the online and practical assessment, all coaching resources, educator support and the learner registration fee to 1st4sport. If you miss any element of the course or assessment you may be required to pay an additional fee.
Welsh Triathlon strongly recommends that all coaches have appropriate Professional Indemnity Insurance for all aspects of their coaching practice. Welsh Triathlon membership offers a very competitive professional indemnity insurance package for coaches, in addition to the legal, insurance and other benefits. When purchasing insurance it is important that you compare the detail of the policies very carefully as they vary greatly in their cover and price.
Professional Indemnity Insurance for Coaching Practice and Attending a Welsh Triathlon Coach Education Course.
All learners that attend a British Triathlon recognised Coach Education Course must have an appropriate level of Professional Indemnity Insurance for all aspects of their coaching practice before attending the course. The minimum level required is equivalent to, or greater than, that provided by the Welsh Triathlon membership package. If you are already a member of Welsh Triathlon, then you will hold appropriate insurance cover.
Summary of Welsh Triathlon Professional Indemnity Insurance for Coaches:
- Definition of a coach – Any person who holds a valid British Triathlon/ 1st4sport Triathlon Coaching Qualification.
- Scope of cover – The master policy covers legal liability for damages and legal costs arising out of third party loss, injury or damage due to the professional negligence of a triathlon coach.
- Limit of indemnity – £5 million for all damages to any claimant or all claimants in respect of any one claim or all claims arising from one original cause.
- Geographical limits – Worldwide excluding USA/Canada.
The above is a summary of the Master Policy held by Towergate plc, copies of which are available from Welsh Triathlon on request. If you require this or more specific advice as to what is covered, please contact the Welsh Triathlon office on 0845 045 4305 or email email@example.com