The ways in which swim, bike, run activity and events can operate across England, Scotland and Wales have changed within the last month. Below is a summary of the changes and what that means for your training and club activity in each Home Nation.
On Monday 23 November, the Prime Minister announced that all areas of England would return to a tiered system of coronavirus (Covid-19) restrictions on Wednesday 2 December. We’ll update this page to reflect what this means for sport and physical activity as soon as possible but the information below remains an accurate reflection what is and isn’t currently allowed. Until 2 December, every part of England remains under the same coronavirus restrictions.
Whilst we are naturally disappointed that organised sporting activity is once again on hold, we will continue to find ways to continue to support our swim, bike, run community through this time. Please keep an eye on our website and social media channels for news of upcoming virtual activity for all!
British Triathlon has therefore suspended event permitting in England during this period.
During the lockdown period, you can train outdoors either on your own, with the people you live with or with those you have formed a support bubble with, or with one person from another household. If you meet with someone from another household, it must be in a public place and not a home or a garden.
- In person coached activity can continue so long as it is outdoors in a public place and on a 1-2-1 basis. There is no limit on the number of people one coach can see in a day, so long as each person is coached in an individual session.
- Club activity can continue so long as it is only between two people, outdoors and in a public place. The Department for Education have confirmed that general sports provision for children and young people cannot continue to run.
- Open water swimming venues are closed but you can still go wild swimming where appropriate. We would advise you to carefully consider the water temperature at this time of year and take all the necessary safety precautions.
- In person coach training courses have been suspended until Wednesday 2 December. Virtual training courses will continue.
- Elite sportspeople can continue to train behind closed doors, in line with existing regulations.
In Scotland, a new strategic framework was put in place from Monday 2 November, with varying local restrictions. Support and guidance for members, clubs and coaches in Scotland can be found here.
From Monday 9th November, Wales has come out of the firebreak. Rules have changed slightly compared to prior the fire break as to what is allowed for organised sport indoors and outdoors. Please look here for the Welsh specific guidance.
For more information please read our FAQs.