British Triathlon issues permits to hundreds of events each year. Event permitting ensures that triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon and aquabike events are safe and fair.
What is an Event Permit?
A British Triathlon event permit demonstrates that an event has met a set of national standards. An event permit demonstrates that:
- The event will be conducted in a fair and safe manner.
- The event planning and preparation meets the standard of quality required by the national governing body.
- A thorough review of the swim, bike and/or run course has taken place and that safety, medical and emergency requirements have been considered.
- The event will be conducted in accordance with the British Triathlon Competition Rules.
- The event has the appropriate event, volunteer and participant insurance.
What does an event permit mean for participants?
By taking part in a permitted event, a participant can be assured that:
- The organiser is taking the appropriate measures to ensure safety.
- The event has the appropriate insurances in place.
- There is access to individual public liability insurance through British Triathlon annual or day membership.
- The event is run in accordance with the British Triathlon Competition Rules.
- The organiser is committed to supporting the wider development of the sport.
Events that have applied for a permit can be found on the British Triathlon Event Search. The status of each event’s permit application can be found within each event’s listing.
What does an event permit mean for organisers?
Organisers who permit their events demonstrate a responsible approach to event planning and delivery. Through event permitting, organisers can be assured that their event meets a set of national standards. Organisers can also access a range of support including event promotion, access to Technical Officials and more. Further information for organisers can be found here.
What does event permitting mean for British Triathlon?
British Triathlon want to ensure that everyone has a great experience in swim, bike, run and that a positive image of the sport is maintained. Through event permitting, British Triathlon can ensure that events are delivered safely and fairly meeting national governing body standards. British Triathlon charges fees for event permitting to organisers which are used to cover the costs of the service provided and increase the number of participants taking part in the sport.
For more information please contact British Triathlon by email or telephone on 01509 226 162.