2021 World Triathlon Super-Sprint Distance Triathlon World Championships Edmonton
Race distances will be 250-500m swim / 6.5-13km cycle / 1.7 - 3.5km run and draft illegal, exact distances are TBC.
Event Website: Event website
Intention to Qualify
In order to register click on the blue 'Register' button on this page and log in with your Home Nation membership number and password. You will need to be a Core or Ultimate BTF member. Please click here for membership information.
Please note, to register for this event you will need your performance details on hand to complete your submission and you will need to pay the non-refundable £10 registration fee. (PQ athletes please tell us you have a PQ from 2020from your registration form)
For further information on how to register please click here.
Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email and will be added to the registration list below.
Please ensure your registration has been successful by checking the athlete registration list below before the registration deadline, no changes can or will be made after the registration deadlines. No late registrations including amendments will be accepted after the final registration date.
In order to be eligible to qualify and compete in this event you must be 16 on the 31st December 2021. Do not register your interest if you do not meet this age limit, you will be unable to qualify and the £10 registration fee is non-refundable.
This race will take place on a different day to the standard triathlon and aquabike race so standard athletes and aquabike athletes can compete in this race as long as they qualify.
To qualify for this event, athletes must supply a result which meets the qualifying criteria and qualification evidence specified below.
Qualification evidence - Athletes will be required to submit performances providing the following information:
- Race name
- Race date
- Athlete finish time
- Winner of age-groups finish time
- Link to online results
Athletes aged 15 - 16 years old and, who have not had the chance to compete in 2020 due to Covid 19, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we are allowing special dispensation for these athlete to register without a cut-off date as they have not had the chance to compete and gain a race result to qualify and may be able to gain a result in 2021. This special consideration is subject to the following conditions; A) There is room left in the required age group after each registration cut off date, B) The qualification criteria and race evidence criteria are met, C) The race entries have not been sent in and there is time for the athlete to pay the race entry fee
Please take special note of the registration cut off dates
Q1 - 5pm Friday 4th December 2020
Q2 - 5pm Friday 19th February 2021
Q3 - Q3 - 5pm Friday 30th April 2021
Race Qualification Criteria
- Event must have been chip timed.
- Results must be in 5 or 10 year age group bands.
- Events need to be from sprint or super-sprint triathlons.
- Course must have an open water swim, a road or tarmac bike course and a run on road, tarmac or a path course.
- Results need to be within 115% of the winner of you age group. If you move up an age group, use the time from the winner of the age group you are moving into.
- To work out your % of time behind the winner of your age group you could use a Time Percentage Calculator like the one found here.
- Results must be valid between the following dates; January 2018 to the final registration cut off date.
- Athletes who have registered and who have used a race result which took place from January 2019 onwards will be considered at the first registration cut off date (Q1).
- Athletes who have registered and who have used a race result which took place from January 2018 to December 2018 will be considered at the second and third registration cut-off date (Q2 and Q3) along with athletes who submit a race result from January 2019 onwards.
- Races with 99 people or less in the results (including DNS and DNF) will be considered at the second and third registration cut-off date Q2 and Q3).
- Race results submitted need to be of a competitive nature and not a non-competitive event. Please check with your race organiser if you are unsure. Any athlete who submits a non-competitive event result will not be considered.
- Races may be in either a time trial format, draft legal format, socially distanced format or, a traditional wave format. Races will become competitive 6 weeks after indoor swimming pools open in your country of residence e.g. England, Scotland, Wales. Please see the bottom of this section for more details. If pools are not open if the area where you live, you may travel to an event where pools are open to take part in a race unless it is forbidden by the government of your country of residence.
- Athletes who register with results when they were subject to a Local Lockdown and who traveled to a race outside of their Local Lockdown area will not be considered for the team. If it is found that an athlete has been offered a place in the team after leaving their Local Lockdown area to take part in a race and therefore has undertaken unnecessary travel will be removed from the team and will not be refunded their £20 team fee or their £10 registration fee.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE
- If you improve your best performance before the each registration deadline and would like to update the result, you can do this by following the instructions found here and looking for "How do I change the race result I added to qualify for an ITU/ETU race"
- You do not need to contact us and specify which qualification race you are planning to do or have done. (If you need help please email email@example.com)
- You do not need to register before doing the race you plan to use for qualification, you can register after you have taken part in it.
- We cannot tell you that your result will qualify you for the race before the registration cut off dates.
- The Team Manager and Age Group Coordinator will not change or amend results if they are incorrect, it is the athletes responsibility to ensure they have entered the right result.
- When the chosen qualification race takes place in the year before the Championships, qualification is based on an athlete's finishing time compared to those athletes in the same age group during the year of the Championships. If athletes are moving up into an age group in 2021, their qualification is based on where their finishing time places them in the age group they will be racing in during 2021. Please see point 8.3 in the Terms and Conditions.
- We recommend you do not leave registering your intent to qualify until the last minute before each registration deadline.
- Please check there is capacity in the race to enter before you pay your £10 registration fee as this is non-refundable.
Why does it matter that pools are open again for results to be competitive?
6 weeks after indoor swimming pools were given the go-ahead to re-open, British Triathlon will deem events "competitive" again. This is so athletes have a return to racing period. Many athletes have not had access to training water, have been working extra hours or, have had significant changes to their usual routines and lives. Therefore there will be a 6 week period where racing is not competitive and results will not be viable to be used to qualify for Age Group Championships so all athletes can get used to competing again and return to fitness.
When did pools re-open after lockdown?
- Indoor swimming pools in England re-opened on the 25th July 2020, therefore the first date which races are deemed to be competitive is the 5th September.
- Indoor swimming pools in Wales are due to reopen on the 10th August 2020, therefore the first date which races are deemed to be competitive is the 21st September.
- Indoor swimming pools in Scotland re-opened on the 1st September 2020, therefore the first date which races are deemed to be competitive is the 13th October 2020.
The £10 registration fees go towards administrating the age group teams. This provides 1 full time member of staff, administrative items, office space.
This race is new in the world Triathlon calendar and so there will not be any Pre-Qualified athletes (PQ) for the 2021 race except those who have been allowed to transfer their 2020 World Triathlon Sprint Triathlon PQ to the 2021 World Triathlon Super Sprint Triathlon due to logistical reasons.
To Pre-Qualify for the 2022 World Triathlon World Championship race, athletes must finish in the top 15 places in their age group and be one of the first three British athletes to finish in the 2021 World Triathlon World Championship race.
Please see the link to the BTF Age Group Pre-Qualification policy here.
Allocation of Places
- There are 20 places available in each age group. As many as all 20 places can be awarded during the first selection phase if sufficient numbers apply and meet the qualification criteria. The remaining selection phases will allocate any remaining places. This means that at the first registration cut off date, all the places may be allocated in each age group.
- If more than 20 athletes qualify in an age-group, then after places are allocated as per results from within 12 months, the remaining athletes will be given a rolldown percentage, where relevant, based on the performance result they submitted at the time of registration and may be eligible for a rolldown place.
- Allocation of places will be awarded following the 3 registration deadlines outlined in the section above. We endeavour to complete this process and notify athletes within 2 weeks of the deadline. Qualified athletes will be notified by e-mail and will also be marked with a 'Q' next to their name in the registered athletes list below. If you use a Hotmail, outlook or work email address please check your junkmail, we find these email addresses often send our emails to the junkmail inbox.
- If you believe you have qualified and your name does not have a Q next to it on the registration list and you have not received an email informing you of your selection within two weeks of the final qualification deadline, please contact the Team Manager to determine why. Once rolldown places have been offered we cannot guarantee that places will be available for athletes that did not make us aware of their Q not showing prior to this.
Entry details for this event will be released once they have been confirmed by World Triathlon
Registered Athletes (Female)
Category U20 (U20) (3 athletes)
Category D (20-24) (3 athletes)
Category E (25-29) (2 athletes)
Category F (30-34) (2 athletes)
Category G (35-39) (3 athletes)
Category H (40-44) (7 athletes)
Category I (45-49) (2 athletes)
Category J (50-54) (5 athletes)
Category K (55-59) (1 athlete)
Category L (60-64) (2 athletes)
Category M (65-69) (2 athletes)
Category Q (80-84) (1 athlete)
Registered Athletes (Male)
Category D (20-24) (2 athletes)
Category E (25-29) (2 athletes)
Category F (30-34) (5 athletes)
Category G (35-39) (2 athletes)
Category H (40-44) (7 athletes)
Category I (45-49) (7 athletes)
Category J (50-54) (3 athletes)
Category K (55-59) (4 athletes)
Category L (60-64) (4 athletes)
Category M (65-69) (1 athlete)
Category N (70-74) (1 athlete)
Category P (75-79) (2 athletes)