If you do not hold a level 1 qualification in coaching triathlon, you can enter the course based on prior learning or qualification.
- Have a least 1 year’s involvement in triathlon (training/ racing/volunteering/coaching).
- Understand the basic technical components of triathlon (Swim/Bike/Run).
- Minimum age 18 years.
Must also hold at least one of the following:
- A formal coaching qualification in any sport.
- A further or higher education qualification in sport (BTEC or Degree).
- Have a recognised teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE) and deliver PE/Sport Exercise Science/Coaching.
- A fitness industry qualification (Level 3 or equivalent award) - with experience of coaching in sport.
- Been involved in triathlon for at least 2 years and have a thorough understanding of coaching. This should include shadow coaching and leading sessions in each triathlon discipline adding up to 30 hours. The experience of coaching must be recent (within the last 3 years) and also relevant- ie in swim, bike, run, multisport and within a club/ group coaching ( 1:1 coaching or being coached is not acceptable ). You will be asked to detail this and if required evidence it.
Applicants for direct entry will be expected to demonstrate the follow:
- Develop a basic session plan.
- Understanding of athlete safety and welfare (including risk assessment).
- Key coaching skills (the how to coach).
- Experience of actual delivery in a live environment.
- Understanding of the technicalities of triathlon across all disciplines.
You will be contacted by phone and asked a number of questions to verify the level of your knowledge and experience; this will take around 30 minutes. To view the level 2 course information click the button below.Level 2 Course Information
Example questions that will be asked are as follows:
- Give an example of how you have improved performance through coaching.
- Give three key points when cornering in cycling.
- Describe the arm action under the water in swimming.
We strongly recommend that only those people who fully meet the requirements and expectations should use direct entry. All others should start at level 1.
We cannot support learners who do not meet these expectations. If you have any questions, please contact the Coach Education team for guidance.
Successful learners will have access to all level 1 materials through the online resource.
Conditions for Direct Entry
There will be a £60 non-refundable fee payable and your place will be subject to screening via the course educators. You will be asked to pay the full course fee of £540 at the time of booking and if not successful your course fee will be refunded less the direct entry fee. Total cost of the course via the Direct Entry route is £600.
Blended Learning Courses 2020-21
Applicants should consider the additional requirements for self guided learning during this time. There will be practical on course coaching, but classrooms will be virtual. Independant coaches ( not attached to a club) should consider carefully when applying as we normally recommend shadow coaching/ support from the club for direct entry candidates
Fees & additional terms
Learners who select Level 2 Direct Entry, will be required to pay additional fees for reassessment if they don’t meet the standards required. Fees will be determined by the reassessment required.
We also reserve the right to remove a learner from the course with no return of course fee if false or exaggerated information is supplied in the direct entry process.Find a Level 2 Course