If you do not hold a Level 1 qualification in coaching triathlon, you may be able to enter the Level 2 course based on prior learning & experience or with a qualification.
We strongly recommend that only those people who fully meet the requirements and expectations should use direct entry. All others should start at Level 1.
Our tutors will review the candidate’s application and will make the final decision as to whether it is appropriate for the candidate to apply for a Level 2 course through this process.
If you have any questions, please contact the Coach Education team for guidance.
Essential requirements - You will be required to show evidence of this.
- Been involved in triathlon for the last 3 years including shadowing coaching sessions in each triathlon discipline.
- Have a thorough understanding of group coaching in the sporting sector within the last 3 years which is relevant to swim, bike, run.
- Be a member of a triathlon club.
- Understand the basic technical components of triathlon (Swim/Bike/Run).
- Minimum age 18 years.
Must also hold at least one of the following:
- A recent or up-to-date formal coaching qualification in any sport, ideally related to swim, bike & run.
- A recent higher education qualification in sport.
- Have a recognised teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE) and must deliver either PE/Sport Exercise Science/Coaching.
- A fitness industry qualification (Level 3 or equivalent award) with experience coaching groups regularly.
Applicants for direct entry will be expected to demonstrate the follow:
- Develop a basic session plan.
- Experience coaching group sessions and delivery in a live group environment.
- Understanding of athlete safety and welfare (including risk assessment).
- Key coaching skills (the how to coach).
- Understanding of the technicalities of triathlon across all disciplines.
You will be contacted by phone by one of our tutors and asked a number of questions to verify the level of your knowledge and experience; this will take around 30 – 45 minutes. To view the level 2 course information, click the button below.
There is a requirement to coach practical swim, bike and run sessions in a traditional setting to achieve aspects of this course and therefore it would be useful to have access to formal club-based activities to support for development for this practical phase.
All coaches (over the age of 18) must now undergo safeguarding training which needs to be done during the beginning of your course and must in place prior to completion of your PCE Task within your course. This is an extra cost of up to £30. Without this, you will not be sanctioned or insured to coach once qualified to do so. For further details see here.Level 2 Course Information
Example questions that will be asked are as follows:
- Give an example of how you have improved performance through coaching.
- Give three key points when cornering in cycling.
- Describe the arm action under the water in swimming.
Successful learners will have access to all level 1 materials through the online resource.
Conditions for Direct Entry
There will be a £60 non-refundable fee payable, and your place will be subject to screening via the course educators. You will be asked to pay the full course fee of £540 at the time of booking and if not successful your course fee will be refunded less the direct entry fee. Total cost of the course via the Direct Entry route is £600.
Blended Learning Courses 2022-2023
Applicants should consider the additional requirements for self-guided learning during this time. There will be practical on course coaching, but classrooms will be virtual.
Independent coaches (not attached to a club) should consider carefully when applying as coaches should shadow coaching, have support from a club and be able to complete assessments in a club environment.
Fees & additional terms
Learners who select Level 2 Direct Entry, will be required to pay additional fees for reassessment if they don’t meet the standards required. Fees will be determined by the reassessment required.
We also reserve the right to remove a learner from the course with no return of course fee if false or exaggerated information is supplied in the direct entry process.
Please read our terms and conditions before applying here.Find a Level 2 Course