The Level 1 Triathlon coach is the entry level into the British Triathlon Coach Education Programme.
The level 1 qualification will allow a coach to lead and deliver (pre-planned) sessions or plan basic sessions on their own (reviewed by higher level coach) in a range of club environments (without the need to be directly supervised). You will gain the knowledge to adapt sessions to meet the needs of a variety of participants.
It has been specifically designed to provide a supporting and engaging environment for developing the fundamentals of coaching the sport, to equip you with the necessary skills and resources to start coaching.
The course is made up of:
- A series of interactive webinars to cover the theory of the course.
- A face-to-face practical coaching weekend comprising a practical assessments, personal review, and action planning.
- Home study of around 10-15 hours over 3-4 weeks (including some pre-course work). Learners with limited triathlon experience may require some extra reading time (3-5 hours).
- You may be asked to complete an additional coaching video if requested by your tutors.
You will be required to complete home study online tasks, plan, deliver and review practical sessions on the course.
What will I Learn?
The course will focus on developing key coaching skill including:
- How to communicate effectively.
- How to engage athletes.
- How to give quality meaningful feedback.
You will also be introduced to the triathlon disciplines (swim, bike, run and transitions) and the basic skills to be coached. You will cover athlete safety and welfare, session preparation, evaluation, and reflection.
The course is supported by an online resource, which contains all the information required to complete the course and develop your own coaching knowledge and skills.
- Learners must be at least 16 years of age at the commencement of the learning programme. Learners over 18 once qualified can work independently; those under 18 must have supervision.
- Be a valid Home Nation member- either core or ultimate membership. This is to provide you with appropriate insurance to cover your coaching practice. The essential membership does not provide this cover and will not allow access to courses.
- Have access to an internet connected device for the online resource.
- Learners must take a UK Coaching Safeguarding course or have a valid UK Coaching Safeguarding qualification. Further information can be found here.
- You will be registered for the qualification for a period of 12 months from the start of the course. However, most learners complete in-line with the course duration.
On successful completion of the Level 1, you will be able to:
- Engage and inspire people to take part in triathlon.
- Safely organise and deliver triathlon activities for a range of ages and abilities, across a range of environments.
- Demonstrate generic and triathlon specific coaching skills, good practice in coaching, athlete safety and welfare, equitable and inclusive coaching practice, and working with others.
The cost of the course is £350 which includes the online and practical assessment, all coaching resources, educator support and the learner registration fee to 1st4sport. If you miss any element of the course or assessment you may be required to pay an additional fee.
Learners must also pay up to £30 for a UK Coaching Safeguarding course. Without this you will not have valid coaching insurance and if your course completes after this date this will delay your completion if not in place. Courses are all available on line you can find all details here.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions for our cancellation policy which can be found in the above links and in the booking form.
Please note that all courses will run under Government and British Triathlon Guidance.Find a Course