The level 2 course includes in depth resources, online assessment and more engaging face to face delivery. You will deliver sessions on the course and in your club; these sessions will be assessed by course educators.
Level 2 is aimed at people with some experience of coaching (formally or informally) and of triathlon. The knowledge gained from completing this qualification will allow you to develop an understanding of safe, ethical, and effective triathlon coaching.
The certificate qualifies you to independently plan, deliver and evaluate triathlon related activities to groups of children and/or adults in any of the Level 2 coaching environments, including coaching in open water environments.
This course focuses on producing a competent club session coach who can promote the benefits of participating in triathlon and develop appropriate skill acquisition through quality coaching of participants from grass roots level upwards.
The course is spread over around 30 hours over a period of 5-6 months consists of:
- A series of interactive webinars and directed learning to cover the theory of the course.
- A face-to-face practical coaching weekend comprising of practical assessments, personal review, and action planning.
- A final assessment submitted by video and a personal review.
In addition, 40-60 hours of home study which includes:
- Pre course work for each element (allow 8-10 hours)
- For Direct Entry coaches, please add in an extra 20 hours minimum of Level 1 reading & tasks to be completed in addition to the Level 2 Course.
- Session planning and delivery of 6-10 coaching sessions in club environment.
- Completion of online tasks.
- Review of online learning resource.
- Submission of a video of a coached session in your coaching environment for your final assessment.
What will I learn?
We have moved most of the ‘theory’ to home study modules and the face-to-face component will focus on practical and scenario-based activities.
- Delivering engaging and effective sessions.
- Understanding and analysing athletes.
- Planning progressive sessions.
- Coaching safely across a range of environments, including open water.
- How to work with range of participant ages, abilities, and aspirations.
The course is supported by an online resource, which contains all the information required to complete the course and develop your own coaching knowledge and skills.
Pre-requisites and Enrolling on a Level 2 Course
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Hold a level 1 triathlon coach qualification or complete a direct entry process.
- Have club support throughout the course and a club environment for the final video assessment.
- Hold a valid Home Nation/ coach membership-either core or ultimate membership. This is to provide coaching insurance cover. The essential membership does not provide this cover and will not allow access to courses.
- Have access to a device for the online resource.
- Learners must take a UK Coaching Safeguarding course or have a valid UK Coaching Safeguarding qualification. Further information can be found here.
- You will be registered for the qualification for a period of 24 months from the start of the course. However, most learners complete in-line with the course duration.
On successful completion of the Level 2 course, you will be able to:
- Plan, deliver, and review engaging, performance improvement sessions.
- Evaluate participant performances.
- Create periodised and progressive plans for groups.
- Safely deliver sessions across a range of environments including open water.
- Work with others when creating plans and delivering sessions.
The cost of the course is £540 (£600 for direct entry learners) which includes a series of interactive webinars, online and practical assessments, all coaching resources, educator support and the learner registration fee to 1st4sport. If you miss any element of the course or assessment you may be required to pay an additional fee.
Learners must also pay up to £30 for a UK Coaching Safeguarding course. Without this you will not have valid coaching insurance and if your course completes after this date this will delay your completion if not in place. Courses are all available on line you can find all details here.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions for our cancellation policy which can be found in the above links and on the booking form.
Please note that all courses will run under Government and British Triathlon Guidance.Find a Course