Get Involved

Useful Links

Junior Membership

Aged 8-18? Find out more about being a Junior triathlete

Take a look at the new Juniors website section, and as an English or Welsh Home Nation member you can login and start building your online trophy cabinet.

What to consider when racing or training abroad

It is becoming increasingly popular for our members to travel abroad so we've put together some hints and tips to consider when planning your trip.

We know the main focus will be the race, followed by the travelling to your destination. However, you also need to make sure you have thought about your insurance and planned for all eventualities.

When you travel for a race, we all hope that it goes to plan and that you finish, and whilst nobody really wants to think about the worst case scenarios, taking a little extra time to plan can help avoid any surprises.

An Accident Abroad

If you think about the following example:

A member takes part in a long distance triathlon in Spain. They collapse during the run and get taken to a private hospital; as arranged by the event organisers. The member needs to stay in hospital for 3 days and has a number of tests and some treatment. The member receives a bill for 1100 euros.

Who pays this bill?

In this scenario, if the member has travel insurance that includes medical expenses insurance then it should be covered through this. Alternatively, the member will need to pay the bill themselves.

The Personal Accident Insurance that is included in the membership fee will provide a payment for the time the member spent in hospital but doesn not cover the medical bills.

What does my membership include?

As a member you get Public Liability Insurance (also known as third party insurance) to provide cover if you are held liable for damage to someone else’s property or if you injure someone.

You also receive Personal Accident Insurance which provides a payment if you are hospitalised as a result of an accident and kept in for more than one night. Lump sum payments are also provided for dental treatment, disablement or death.

However, it will not cover medical expenses or repatriation. These, along with general holiday cover in case of cancellation, lost luggage or delays, need to be covered by your own travel insurance.

Full details of the Membership Insurance can be found online.

Travel Insurance

If you have an existing policy it is worth checking the details as you might be able to pay an additional premium and add on cover for your bike and the race.

Otherwise you will need to arrange a single trip or annual policy that is specifically designed for triathlon and other multisport activity. You may need to specify the race distance as it could affect the policy and your ability to make a successful claim.

If you are taking part in an event, you can also check with the organiser to see whether they have a specific policy that will cover you for the event.

Yellow Jersey offer a cycling specific travel insurance to provide cover for emergency medical expenses, repatriation (and lots of other features you'd expect from a travel insurer) for those training and racing abroad.

We have negotiated a membership discount of 10% which can be claimed by Triathlon England members by logging in to the members area.

For more information or for a quote, please visit

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The EHIC replaced the old E111, and provides you with medical cover within Europe. You need to apply for it before you leave and can take a couple of weeks to arrive.

The EHIC lets you access state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free; depending on the country you are visiting. It does not cover private hospitals or the cost of being repatriated to the UK, so you shouldn’t rely on this alone for any healthcare you may need in Europe.

This card is free but has an expiry date, so make sure you check it before you travel to be sure you are still covered. Visit the website for full details of what’s covered.

What to do if you are involved in an accident abroad

Before you travel, we would:

  • Make sure you keep your policy documents and number with you when on holiday. If you are visiting Europe, check what the EHIC covers for the country you are travelling to.
  • As with any accident, take a moment to collect yourself and assess your injuries. If you are able to; make a note of the date and time of the incident, details of any witnesses and photos of the location.
  • Contact your insurer for guidance as soon as possible – this could be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful claim. In some cases medical treatment may need to be approved by your insurer - so check from the outset.
  • Once you get home visit the insurance centre to report the incident. You may be entitled to payments for the time your were hospital, or advice if you are being held responsible for an accident.

Key terms

Public Liability Insurance: Also referred to as third party insurance. It covers the individual in case they damage someone else’s property, for example, crash into a car and break the rear window or dent the vehicle. It also covers in case you injure someone whilst training or racing. For example, cycling in a race and hitting a pedestrian or damaging a parked vehicle.

Personal Accident Insurance: This doesn’t cover hospital bills or medical treatment costs. It provides a payment in case of an accident which results in you being in hospital, or if an accident results in a major injury.

For full details of what your Triathlon England membership insurance covers visit our Insurance Centre.

Thanks to our Partners

Join Us

And enjoy insurance benefits, race licensing and more...