The Regional Technical Officials (RTO) course is designed to build on the experience gained as an LTO and further develop Officials.
The RTO course is the next step on the officiating pathway and builds upon the skills and knowledge gained during the course of training and operating as an LTO, and further develops these whilst adding to them.
The training consists of:
- A half day course
- An associated open-book knowledge tester
- Online course workbook
- The completion of two shadows of qualified Technical Officials at two open water events
View a full overview of the qualification process please click here.
Regional Technical Official courses take place in March each year. The course calendar will be available from October onwards, but until then, please discuss your progression with your Regional Officials Coordinator, and email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest, providing your name, email address and location.
The course recaps the content from the LTO course to familiarise candidates and covers supervising other Technical Officials in more depth and introduces:
- Officiating at Open Water Events
- Crisis Management and Contingency Planning
- Supervising Other Technical Officials
Following the successful completion of the theoretical and practical elements candidates will be eligible to officiate as the Chief Technical Official at open water events and be part of the officaiting team at British Triathlon and Home Nation Association Major Events.
To attend the course candidates must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Have fully completed the LTO qualification
- Have been the Chief Technical Official at a minimum of two events, or Assistant Technical Official at a minimum of four events, since qualifying as an LTO
As volunteers, qualified Regional Technical Officials are entitled to receive reimbursement for expenses incurred for attending events, which are claimed directly from the Event Organiser. The British Triathlon Officials Expenses Policy can be found in the Officiating Resources section.