Each autumn the best young triathletes from London and South-East Regions compete against each other in a Duathlon (referred to as IRD - Inter Regional Duathlon). Date confirmed for IRD5 - 4th November 2018 at the Olympic VeloPark
The Inter Regional Duathlon (IRD) exists to provide a rare representative opportunity for the top young triathletes from London and South East. It was started in 2014 by Jim Desmond (ex-London Region Junior Coordinator) who extended the invitation to Dean Painter (ex-South East Junior Lead), and from there it has grown into a much loved regular fixture. The event is however much more than just a race:
- it gives an opportunity for the young athetes to represent their region, providing a valuable step towards IRC selection fro the younger athletes.
- builds relationships within each regional team, and also between the regions
- provided a post-season training objective
The event has become a very popular regular fixture that athletes, parents and coaches all look forward to each year. London won the inaugral event back in 2014, but since then the South East team have proven difficult to beat, so the match current scores (after the 2017 event) are:
London 1 - South East 3
For results, stories and photos from past the IRD events follow these links:
London Team Selection:
Each team (London / South East) can bring a maximum of 60 athletes to the event. In each of the 8 categories (Tri-Star1 to Youth, male and female) the leading 5 finishers in the London Series will be guaranteed an invite.
The remaining 20 or so places with be awarded based on a number of factors including:
- Leading athletes who have not placed high in the series but are strong in Duathlon (particularly applicable with Youth who are racing Super Series, or athletes who have been injured).
- The relative strength of the category – where there is lot of depth more athletes will be invited rewarding their level of performance during the season.
- The draft team will be shared with the coaches from the London clubs for any insight they may have for potential inclusion.
The Start of the 2014 Tristar2 Race
2014 Tristar1's in Action
If you have any questions relating to this area, please contact Martin McGuigan, Junior Coordinator