Each autumn the best young triathletes from London and South-East Regions compete against each other in a Duathlon (referred to as IRD - Inter Regional Duathlon).
IRD3 - 2016
IRD3 took place at the Olympic Velopark on Sunday 9th October 2016.
London 209 South East 230
Congratulations to South East in an excellent victory in a very keenly contested and exciting contest.
The London Team
Each team size of 60 (the same as is 2015), distributed across the 8 age-group / gender categories (T1, T2, T3 & Youth).
This event has been made possible thanks to the generous support of the following London Region 2016 Junior Series events committed to supporting local junior triathlon:
|Thames Turbo Duathlon|
|Crystal Palace Triathlon|
|Greenwich Tritons Aquathlon|
London Team Selection:
In each of the 8 categories the leading 5 finishers 2016 London Series will be guaranteed an invite.
The remaining 20 places with be awarded by selection panel based on a number of factors including:
- Leading athletes who have not placed high the series (particularly applicable with Youth who are racing Super Series, but younger athletes who’d perhaps been injured or did well in duathlons but not strong swimmers).
- The relative strength of the category – where there is lot of depth more athletes will be invited rewarding their level of performance during the season.
More details to follow.........
The Inter Regional Duathlon (IRD) exists to provide a rare representative opportunity for the top young triathletes from London and South East. It was started in 2014 by Jim Desmond (ex-London Region Junior Coordinator) who extended the invitation to Dean Painter (South East Junior Lead), and from there it has grown into a much loved regular fixture.
The match current scores (after the 2016 event) are
London 1 - South East 2
For results, stories and photos from past the IRD events follow these links:
The event is however much more than just a race:
- it gives an opportunity for the young athetes to represent their region, providing a valuable step towards IRC selection fro the younger athletes.
- builds relationships within each regional team, and also between the regions
- provided a post-season training objective
The event has become a very popular regular fixture that athletes, parents and coaches all look forward to each year.
The Start of the 2014 Tristar2 Race
2014 Tristar1's in Action
If you have any questions relating to this area, please contact Martin McGuigan, Junior Coordinator