The North East Committee are pleased to announce the regional adult series dates and rules for 2019
There are 35 regional events to choose from in the North East series.
New for 2019 there will be an opportunity to be crowned NE Champion in each of the 5 year age groups (15-19, 20-24, 25-29 etc) . All ages as of 31st December 2019 see below for dates.
There are 5 Championship Races;
Stockton Standard Duathlon - 14th April
Northumberland Standard Tri - 2nd June
Redcar Sprint Tri - 28th July
Cleveland Steelman - 3rd August
Mouth of Tyne Aquathlon - 18th August
There will be prizes given out in each 5yr age-group category and these will be presented by a member of the regional committee. The prizes are for Triathlon England members only who are also North East Region members.
North East Grand Prix
Due to their being 35 events registered for the 2019 season there will be a split in the Grand Prix. There will be a Triathlon GP and a Multi Sport GP.
Five races from the 22 events listed below, at least one should be Open Water.
The 2019 Adult Triathlon Grand Prix races are as follows;
- April 14th - Ponteland Triathlon
- May 12th - Richmond Sprint Tri
- May 12th - Alnwick Tri
- May 19th - Cleveland Sprint Tri
- June 2nd - Northumberland Sprint Tri
- June 2nd - Northumberland Standard Tri
- June 15th - Cleveland Short Course
- June 23rd - Spanish City Tri
- June 26th - Triology mid-week Super Sprint
- June 30th - Ponteland Sprint Tri
- July 7th - Castle & Derwent Sprint Tri
- July 7th - Castle & Derwent Standard Tri
- July 13th - Woodhorn Sprint Tri
- July 13th - Woodhorn Standard Tri
- July 14th - Washington Sprint & Novice Triathlon
- July 24th - Triology mid-week Super Sprint
- July 28th - Redcar Sprint
- August 3rd - Cleveland Steelman
- August 4th - Weardale Triathlon
- August 4th - Seaham Standard Triathlon
- August 18th - Big Lime Triathlon
- August 21st - Triology mid-week Super Sprint
- September 15th - Sun City Triathlon
Multi Sport GP
Four events to count, meaning you could win this GP without having to swim or run. This is an exciting opportunity to experience Multi Sport.
- March 23rd - Sun City Duathlon
- April 7th - City of Durham Duathlon
- April 14th - Stockton Duathlon
- April 14th - Stockton Duathlon Sprint
- April 21st - Washington Sprint Duathlon
- May 11th - Richmond Aquathlon
- June 2nd - Northumberland Sprint Aquabike
- June 2nd - Northumberland Standard Aquabike
- July 13th - Woodhorn Sprint Aquabike
- July 13th - Woodhorn Standard Aquabike
- August 3rd - Cleveland Steelman Aquabike
- August 17th - Big Lime Aquathlon
- August 18th - Mouth of Tyne Aquathlon
- September 1st - Tyne Tri Lakeside Aquathlon
The scoring system will be the same as previous years so points are calculated based on the winning time, with the winner receiving 100 points. Subsequent results are calculated by dividing the winning time by the recorded time for all other athletes and multiplying the result by 100 (eg. winner - 1hr 18mins = 100pts, 2nd - 1hr 19 minutes 36sec would receive 97.99 points 78 mins divided by 79.6 mins x 100 = 97.99).
To be eligible for prizes at the end of the series, athletes must:
- Compete as a member of Triathlon England, Triathlon Scotland or Welsh Triathlon
- Reside in the North East or be a member of a North East club
Prizes for the top 3 males and females in each age group will be awarded at the end of the series at the Annual Presentation Event. (Date to be confirmed)
There are six age classifications based on year of birth. Age for each category are as of 31st December 2019:
- Junior (U20)
- Senior (20-39)
- Vet 40 (40-49)
- Vet 50 (50-59)
- Vet 60 (60-69)
- Vet 70 (70+)
If more than 1 athlete scores the maximum 500 points then the winner will be determined as follows;
i) The sixth best scores will be compared, then 7th etc etc.
ii) if still tied then the cumulative winning margin of the tied athletes’ best 5 scores will be compared.
For the Club Championship the same events and point scoring system will be used as for the athlete GP with the top 5 scores to count from each club regardless of gender or age category.
In the interest of safety and quality control, all races must be permitted by British Triathlon. Any race which fails to attain a permit may be removed from the Series and may be excluded from future years.
Event organisers must forward final race results to the North East Senior GP Coordinator in Excel format within 7 days of the race and MUST include Home Nations membership number, name and D.O.B and club.
Failure to comply may result in exclusion from the the series in future years.
Another exciting year of races ahead for the North East, Good Luck!