The North East Committee are pleased to announce the regional adult series dates and rules for 2020
There are 32 regional events to choose from in the North East series.
Same as 2019, for 2020 there will be an opportunity to be crowned NE Champion in each of the 5 year age groups (15-19, 20-24, 25-29 etc) . All ages as of 31st December 2020 see below for dates.
There are 5 Championship Races;
Sprint Triathlon - Big Lime Triathlon - 16th August
Standard Triathlon - Arthur Puckrin Standard Triathlon - 13th June
Middle Distance Triathlon - Cleveland Steelman - 1st August
Duathlon - Sun City Duathlon - 15th March
Aquathlon - Mouth of the Tyne - 23rd August
There will be prizes given out in each 5yr age-group category and these will be presented by a member of the regional committee. The prizes are for Triathlon England members only who are also North East Region members.
North East Grand Prix
Due to their being 32 events registered for the 2020 season there will be a split in the Grand Prix. There will be a Triathlon GP and a Multi Sport GP.
Five races from the 24 events listed below, at least one should be Open Water.
The 2020 Adult Triathlon Grand Prix races are as follows;
- April 19th - Ponteland Triathlon
- April 26th - Richmond Sprint Tri
- May 3rd - Alnwick Sprint Tri
- May 17th - Cleveland Sprint Tri
- May 25th - Ashington Triathlon
- May 27th - Triology mid-week Super Sprint, Event 1
- June 6th - Northumberland Sprint Triathlon
- June 6th - Northumberland Standard Triathlon
- June 13th - Arthur Puckrin Memorial Sprint Triathlon
- June 13th - Arthur Puckrin Memorial Standard Triathlon
- June 21st - Spanish City Sprint Triathlon
- June 24th - Triology mid-week Super Sprint, Event 2
- June 28th - Ponteland Sprint Triathlon
- July 5th - Castle & Derwent Sprint Triathlon
- July 5th - Castle & Derwent Standard Triathlon
- July 11th - Woodhorn Museum Sprint Triathlon
- July 11th - Woodhorn Museum Standard Triathlon
- July 22nd - Triology mid-week Super Sprint, Event 3
- July 26th - Redcar Sprint Triathlon
- August 1st - Cleveland Steelman Middle Distance Tri
- August 2nd - Seaham Harbour Standard Triathlon
- August 9th - Sun City Sprint Triathlon
- August 16th - Big Lime Sprint Triathlon
- September 20th - Teesdale Sprint Triathlon
Multi Sport GP
Three events to count, meaning you could win this GP without having to swim or run. This is an exciting opportunity to experience Multi Sport.
- March 15th - Sun City Duathlon
- April 12th - Tyne Tri Club Lakeside Aquathlon
- April 26th - Stockton Sprint Duathlon
- April 26th - Stockton Standard Duathlon
- May 10th - Richmond Aquathlon
- May 30th - Darkathlon Duathlon
- May 11th - Richmond Aquathlon
- June 6th - Northumberland Sprint Aquabike
- June 6th - Northumberland Standard Aquabike
- July 11th - Woodhorn Sprint Aquabike
- July 11th - Woodhorn Standard Aquabike
- August 1st - Cleveland Steelman Aquabike
- August 15th - Big Lime Aquathlon
- August 18th - Mouth of Tyne Aquathlon
- August 23rd - Try on the Tyne Duathlon
- August 23rd - Mouth of Tyne Aquathlon
- September 27th - Tyne Tri Club Lakeside Autumn Aquathlon
- October 4th - Coalfields Duathlon
The scoring system will be the same as previous years so points are calculated based on the winning time, with the winner receiving 100 points. Subsequent results are calculated by dividing the winning time by the recorded time for all other athletes and multiplying the result by 100 (eg. winner - 1hr 18mins = 100pts, 2nd - 1hr 19 minutes 36sec would receive 97.99 points 78 mins divided by 79.6 mins x 100 = 97.99).
To be eligible for prizes at the end of the series, athletes must:
- Compete as a member of Triathlon England, Triathlon Scotland or Welsh Triathlon
- Reside in the North East or be a member of a North East club
Prizes for the top 3 males and females in each age group will be awarded at the end of the series at the Annual Presentation Event. (Date to be confirmed)
There are six age classifications based on year of birth. Age for each category are as of 31st December 2020:
- Junior (U20)
- Senior (20-39)
- Vet 40 (40-49)
- Vet 50 (50-59)
- Vet 60 (60-69)
- Vet 70 (70+)
If more than 1 athlete scores the maximum 500 points then the winner will be determined as follows;
i) The sixth best scores will be compared, then 7th etc etc.
ii) if still tied then the cumulative winning margin of the tied athletes’ best 5 scores will be compared.
For the Club Championship the same events and point scoring system will be used as for the athlete GP with the top 5 scores to count from each club regardless of gender or age category.
In the interest of safety and quality control, all races must be permitted by British Triathlon. Any race which fails to attain a permit may be removed from the Series and may be excluded from future years.
Event organisers must forward final race results to the North East Senior GP Coordinator in Excel format within 7 days of the race and MUST include Home Nations membership number, name and D.O.B and club.
Failure to comply may result in exclusion from the the series in future years.
Another exciting year of races ahead for the North East, Good Luck!