Trials for the 2021-2022 North West Academy squad will take place on Sunday 3rd October 2021 at Edgehill University
The trials for both new and current North West athletes for 2021 will follow the below process:
1. Online Application form available here: https://forms.office.com/r/KP7smyha7i
Application deadline is 15th September 2021
2. Successful athletes will then be invited to attend Stage 2 of the trials which will consist of a swim and run trial and presentation to all prospective applicants about the North West Academy:
Ages 13 -15: 200m swim/1500m run*
Ages 16-18: 400m swim/3000m run*
*Athlete age for academy trial distance is taken as age on 1st September 2021, accounting for athletes turning 14 between Sept-Dec. Athletes must be aged between 15-19 in the 2022 competitive season of Jan-Dec.
3. Following on from Stage 2, succesful athletes will then be invited to attend Stage 3 on October 17th which will include an assesment of cycling ability including bike pack riding and bike handling skills, aerobic capacity swim session, as well as 121 discussions. Athletes will then be offered a place as either a full Academy member or the opportunity to attend development training days throughout the year (see below).
- The Regional Academy Points Calculator is located at the bottom of the Talent Identification page and times calculated are based on those of triathlete's single discipline performances.
- To be considered for a trial in the North West, athletes should be looking to achieve around the region of 320 points. Athletes should be aiming to achieve a score of around 340 points to be conisdered for a full place in the North West Academy.
- In 2021-2022 the North West Region will be introducing 'Development Training Days' for; athletes who may not have been successful, athletes looking to get into the sport from single discipline sports and athletes competing well in the Tristar 3 age group. If you are therefore in the region of 300-320 points athletes are still encouraged to apply this year.
- Selection to the Academy will be primarily based on information provided and seen through the selection process, however accredited performances in inidividual disciplines and triathlon events will also be considered when making the final selections.
Athletes who have a desire to perform at an elite level often show particular characteristics. These include but are not limited to perseverance, dedication and an openness to coaching. As such athlete on the North West Regional Academy will:
- Help create a positive environment where they are open to furthering their own learning and development which will encourage their own potential and that of other academy athletes to thrive.
- Demonstrate commitment and the willingness to train to the standard required to become a world class triathlete.
- Maintain in regular contact with the Regional Lead coach to ensure development continues away from training weekends.
- Have an understanding of the Athlete Development Framework (ADF) and where their strengths and weaknesses lie in relation to this.
In order to fully benefit from the academy, athletes are expected to both physically and mentally attend activities both during and outside of academy training days and camps. It is important to remember that athletes who accept a place on the academy and do not attend are effectively preventing another athlete from benefitting from the services the academy provides.
We do appreciate that at this age athletes will have many commitments to swimming and running clubs as well as school and we are very willing to take these into account and discuss suitable attendance across the activities the academy provides.
A provisional schedule will be made avaialable and shared at Stage 2.
For further questions please get in touch with:
Katie Hewison; NW Regional Academy Lead
Thank you to our Regional Academy Sponsors