The Regional Academy programme is about supporting and developing athletes in their pursuit of excellence.
The Academy is the first step on the Performance Pathway with a focus on performance whilst supporting athletes aged 13-19 years. The expectation being that the TriStar 3 athletes will look to qualify & race at the Inter Regional Championships (IRC) and Youth, Youth B & Junior athletes will look to qualify & race at the National Series.
To participate in the Regional Academy an athlete has to be selected. There are three phases in the selection process.
The first phase:
- Completion the online application form with current & verified swim and run times. Keep an eye on the BTF website for this.
- The application form will ask athletes to answer questions in line with the Athlete Development Framework (ADF) see https://www.britishtriathlon.org/adf .
- In 2018 applying athletes had to score in the region of 320 points from their swim & run scores to be considered for the Academy trials. See https://www.britishtriathlon.org/gb-teams/talent/talent-identification.
- If athletes score highly enough on the points matrix, they will be invited to the second phase. The initial physical assessment phase.
The second phase:
- The initial physical assessment takes place at the South Central Academy Trials. These will be held on Sunday 22nd September 2019 at Radley College Sports Centre, Kennington Rd, Radley, Abingdon OX14 2HR.
The day will run from approximately 9.30 until 5pm and will consist of a swim time trial, a run time trial and a cycling skills assessment.
How athletes display the behaviours aligned to the ADF, as well as their physical application to the tasks will influence if they are invited into the academy for the final phase.
The third and final phase:
- This phase consists of continual assessment on various weekends through October 2019 to January 2020 whilst the athlete is within the Academy setting. Athletes will be assessed against the ADF as well as on their engagement and application, including but not limited to, completing a day to day training diary on Training Peaks (account provided); aerobic swim capacity assessments; bike pack riding ability; Wattbike assessment on a test -retest basis plus a strength & conditioning robustness assessment, as well as 1-2-1 interviews.
The athletes will be confirmed in the Academy after the January 2020 Academy weekend.
The Academy weekends will take place Sibford School, Sibford Ferris, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX15 5QL.
Academies weekends start at 9am on a Saturday and 6:45am on a Sunday .
An Academy athlete will be expected to attend 80% of Academy weekend (10/12 days). Weekends costs are £25 per athlete per weekend regardless of whether the athlete attends or not.
The Weekends dates are
12th & 13th October 2019
9th & 10th November 2019, 7th & 8th December 2019, 11th & 12th January 2020, 8th & 9th February 2020, 7th & 8th March 2020.
A longer camp is planned for 16th to 21st February 2020.
In order to offset some of the costs the Academy has a number of supporters that offer discounts to the Academy athletes.
The Academy coaching team of Sorrel, Di & myself, Scott, are focused on supporting the athletes’ growth as a person, as well as an athlete. We want the Academy to be a positive experience where we all can be challenged and fail in a supported environment.
If you want to chat through what the Academy is about then contact Scott Murray on 07870596873 or by email on southcentralacademy@