24 teams, 12 hours and 24 running machines! Track bikes and trainers at the ready for Welsh Triathlon's cycling and running relay challenge, Duathlon 12.
Duathlon 12 is a six person team event, a 12 hour relay to see who can cover the furthest distance in 12 hours, riding & running from 12 noon to 12 midnight at the Wales International Velodrome in Newport.
On event day, we provide exclusive venue access, track bikes, helmets, electronic lap counters, mechanical support, fully qualified track coaches and guidance, refreshments, snacks, free parking, free entry for spectators and finishers medals.
Prizes are awarded for the teams who cover the furthest distance, with trophies for Best Male Team/Female Team & Mixed Team. Duathlon finisher medals are awarded to all who finish the challenge.
This event is designed for all abilities, from complete beginners to accomplished athletes. For those new to the velodrome track we offer a complimentary induction session ahead of the challenge. Each rider must complete the minimum of an induction session or stage 1 accreditation ahead of the challenge in order to take part. Accredited riders do not need to attend a taster session.
- No more than 1 rider from each team on the track at any one time
- Each Rider segment on track must be at least 15mins but no more than 30mins.
- Teams must ensure that all participants have had equal segments on the bike.
- Teams must ensure that a team member assists with transition from bike to run, and drop the timing baton to the runner on the treadmill, before the running segment commences.
- Each run segment will be 2km, then the baton will be returned to the next rider.
- All riders to follow track rules and protocols
- Track coach advice is sacrosanct
- Shoulders must be covered
- Helmets and gloves must be worn
- Trainers or cycle shoes with Look Keo cleats must be worn
- Own track bikes allowed – subject to track coach approval
- Gearing for our endurance challenge shall be restricted to 88.2
We would like to encourage all riders to fundraise for The Triathlon Trust. The Triathlon Trust is the official charity of British Triathlon. Please click here for more information on how you can fundrasie for the Trust
The Triathlon Trust use the sport of triathlon to inspire children to lead active and healthy lifestyles. They work across the UK to bring a fun and inclusive experience of multi-sport to children and families who might otherwise not have the opportunity. Using a combination of swimming, biking, running, rowing, scooting and jumping to get kids active, both indoors and outdoors.
By making events free to take part in and providing all the equipment including bikes, scooters, tandems and a static hand bike for those that cannot ride a bike and swimming aids for those that cannot swim, they remove barriers to participation in sport for children. By delivering all events with safety and fun as a priority, and keeping them non-competitive with the focus on every child completing their own personal challenge, creating the best type of atmosphere to foster a passion for sport and encourage future physical activity.