Discretionary places will only be awarded under exceptional circumstances.
To apply for a discretionary place an athlete must submit an application form. This form is obtainable via an email request to: email@example.com.
Athletes must show that they had every intention of competing in a qualifying race but due to exceptional circumstances could not. A qualifying race is classed as the specific qualifiers for sprint and standard distance triathlon and duathlon championships or a relevant race from within 18 months of the race for middle and long distance triathlon and duathlon, cross and winter triathlon and aquathlon championships.
Discretionary Place Checklist
Before applying, please use the checklist below to make sure you meet all of the criteria. Please do not apply for a discretionary place if you do not meet the very specific criteria set. To gain a discretionary place an athlete must:
- Have registered their intent to qualify before 5pm on the final registration deadline specified on the event registration page.
- Have an exceptional reason for why they could not attend a qualifying race. Acceptable reasons may include but are not limited to:
- Family bereavement
- Armed force service
- Full time carer role
- Non-accepatable reasons include but are not limited to:
- Disqualification from a race
- Injury or illness without proven performance post injury/illness
- Athletes only entering one qualification race and not being able to attend
- Qualifying races being full except in exceptional circumstances
- Living abroad
- Be of proven medal potential for the championship you are applying for, as shown in race results from within the last 12 months.
- Submit a completed discretionary place application form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than one week after the final registration deadline.
Decision by the British Triathlon Age-Group committee
Discretionary applications are reviewed by the British Triathlon Age-Group Committee. You will be notified of the Age-Group Committees decision by email within three weeks of the final registration deadline for your championships if not before. The British Triathlon Age-Group Committees decision is final.