The Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) process is a means by which an athlete can obtain approval to use a prescribed prohibited substance or method for the treatment of a legitimate medical condition.
Do you need a TUE?
When to apply?
International athletes including those listed below are required to submit a TUE application to the International Triathlon Union in advance of being selected for Doping Control
- Those listed in the National registered testing pool
- Those in the GB Podium Potential Squad
- Athletes in the GB paratriathlon performance squad
- Elite senior, U23 or Junior athletes at any ITU event
- Elite senior athletes competing at Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events.
Age group athletes and all other British Triathlon members are not required to apply for a TUE prior to competition. These athletes can make a retroactive TUE application to UK Anti-Doping following an adverse analytical finding (AAF).
Any athlete requiring a retroactive TUE has five days post the receipt of an AAF to submit a retroactive application. Typically an athlete will receive a letter by courier to confirm an AAF and inform them of the requirements to apply for a retroactive TUE for the prohibited substance detected in their sample.
To find out more about TUE applications please see the UKAD website or email email@example.com