Find an Event

Looking for your next challenge?

Find an event that’s right for you on our event search

Racing abroad: What to consider

What to consider when racing or training abroad

It is becoming increasingly popular for our members to travel abroad so we've put together some hints and tips to consider when planning your trip.

We know the main focus will be the race, followed by the travelling to your destination. However, you also need to make sure you have thought about your insurance and planned for all eventualities.

When you travel for a race, we all hope that it goes to plan and that you finish, and whilst nobody really wants to think about the worst case scenarios, taking a little extra time to plan can help avoid any surprises.

An Accident Abroad

If you think about the following example:

A member takes part in a long distance triathlon in Spain. They collapse during the run and get taken to a private hospital; as arranged by the event organisers. The member needs to stay in hospital for 3 days and has a number of tests and some treatment. The member receives a bill for 1100 euros.

Who pays this bill?

In this scenario, if the member has travel insurance that includes medical expenses insurance then it should be covered through this. Alternatively, the member will need to pay the bill themselves.

The Personal Accident cover that is included in Ultimate membership will provide a payment for the time the member spent in hospital but does not cover the medical bills. If you have any membership other than Ultimate or Ultimate Coach you will not have this level of Personal Accident cover.

What does my membership include?

This will depend on what package you have purchased, the packages that will cover you for training and racing abroad are Ultimate and Ultimate Coach. As an Ultimate or Ultimate Coach member you get Public Liability Insurance (also known as third party insurance) to provide cover if you are held liable for damage to someone else’s property or if you injure someone whilst abroad***.

As an Ultimate or Ultimate Coach member you also receive Personal Accident cover which provides a payment if you are hospitalised as a result of an incident and kept in for more than one night. Lump sum payments are also provided for facial impairment, physio cover, loss of earnings benefit, dental treatment, disablement or death.

However, it will not cover medical expenses or repatriation. These, along with general holiday cover in case of cancellation, lost luggage or delays, need to be covered by your own travel insurance.


Travel Insurance

If you have an existing policy it is worth checking the details as you may not have cover for your bike or for training or racing abroad.

If this is not included in your existing policy you will need to arrange a single trip or annual policy that is specifically designed for triathlon and other multisport activity. You may need to specify the race distance as it could affect the policy and your ability to make a successful claim.

If you are taking part in an event, you can also check with the organiser to see whether they have a specific policy that will cover you for the event.

Yellow Jersey offer a cycling specific travel insurance to provide cover for emergency medical expenses, repatriation (and lots of other features you'd expect from a travel insurer) for those training and racing abroad.

We have negotiated a membership discount of up to 15% based on your membership package which can be claimed by logging in to your members area.

More information about travel insurance

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)/Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

The EHIC replaced the old E111, and provides you with medical cover within Europe. You need to apply for it before you leave and can take a couple of weeks to arrive. Following the UK’s departure from the EU, a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) replaces the EHIC and provides you with to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the European Union (EU). UK issued EHICs are still valid in the EU but once it has expired you will need to replace it with a GHIC.

The GHIC and EHIC lets you access state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free; depending on the country you are visiting. It does not cover private hospitals or the cost of being repatriated to the UK, so you shouldn’t rely on this alone for any healthcare you may need in Europe.

This card is free but has an expiry date, so make sure you check it before you travel to be sure you are still covered. Visit the website for full details of what’s covered.

Before you travel, we would recommend the following:

  • Make sure you keep your policy documents and number with you when on holiday. If you are visiting Europe, check what the GHIC and EHIC covers for the country you are travelling to.
  • As with any incident, take a moment to collect yourself and assess your injuries. If you are able to; make a note of the date and time of the incident, details of any witnesses and photos of the location.
  • Contact your insurer for guidance as soon as possible – this could be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful claim. In some cases medical treatment may need to be approved by your insurer - so check from the outset.
  • Once you get home visit the insurance centre to report the incident. You may be entitled to payments for the time you were hospital, or advice if you are being held responsible for an accident.

Join Today


*All explanations are worded as comprehensively as possible and this page is updated regularly however insurance schedule T&Cs apply and may override what is written on this page. 

**Full list of sactioned event organisers can be found in FAQs

*** Cover for USA/Canada is only applicable to members visiting the USA/Canada temporarily and who are not USA/Canada residents

**** T&Cs apply – insurance cover is only available to UK residents and will not over overseas residents

If you have any additional questions regarding insurance cover within your British Triathlon Home Nation Membership, please email the team: or

Thanks to our Partners

Join Us

Enjoy insurance benefits, race licensing and more...