Represent your region at the U20's Festival
The IRC's comprise a weekend of racing by regional teams from throughout the UK at the British Triathlon U20's Festival.
Each region takes a team of 12 athletes and (4 relay athletes) from TriStar 2 and TriStar 3 categories (4 male and 4 female athletes from each age group). This years U20's event will take place on the 7th and 8th September at Mallory Park, Leicestershire.
IN 2018 EVENT THE NORTHWEST TEAM CAME 3RD PLACE OVERALL AND 7TH IN THE NEWLY FORMED MIXED RELAY RACE.
Qualify for the North West Team
The team selected to represent the North West Region will be chosen by IRC Head Coach, Andy Rawley. In an attempt to make the selection process as transparent as possible the main criteria that will be considered when picking the 12 person team and 4 person relay atheltes is detailed below. All the criteria below will be reviewed for each prospective NW Regional representative. Where possible, the athletes ability to work within a team, their attitude in adverse race situations and their ability to perform when it matters will also be considered. The triathletes that measure up best to all the criteria will be selected and any team selection decision will be final.
Performances from throughout the season will be considered however you will need to do at least one of the open water IRC qualifying events in the table below plus one tarmac based pool triathlons from the Regional Series. This year is slightly differant as we have 2 open water swim races at Cholmondley and Bala. (Bala is a cold lake so good wetsuit) and both are draft legal while Salt ayre is NON DRAFTING.
|Salt Ayre Triathlon (Non Drafting)||16 June||ENTER HERE|
|Cholmondley Castle (Draft Legal, Restricted Gears)||22 June||ENTER HERE|
Bala Triathlon (Draft Legal, Restricted Gears) closing date 10 june 2019
|Hetton Lyon*||20 July||Enter Here|
*Hetton Lyon is not a selection race but will act as a squad training/team race day.
This years IRC race like last years race will be on restricted gears, concept of restricted gearing (as used by British Cycling). In short this will mean that the highest gears on children's bike will be disabled so that they can't be used. There will be a number of opportunities between now and the IRC's where training about how to restrict a bikes gears and why it is being introduced will be given. Please see link below on gear ratio charts and legal wheels. Must be non carbon rims and maximum rim depth of 35mm.
The following criteria will be considered in the team selection process and prioritised in the order presented for each of the prospective triathletes:
- Must be available from 7-8 September for the event, 1 or 2 overnight stays in a local hotel and race at Mallory park on Saturday and Sunday before traveling home late Sunday afternoon.
- Must have a suitable road bike or have access to one.
- Must have a suitable wet-suit or have access to one and have participated in an Open Water Triathlon, an Open Water swimming race or Open Water swim training.
- Triathletes to have raced in a draft legal triathlon, a draft legal bike race or can demonstrate competence from attendance at bike drafting training sessions.
- We also suggest parents to read the Parental Code Of Conduct as last year it was witnessed at many races that this was broken. This could affect in your son or daughter being selected for the NW IRC team.
- Athlete knowledge of the rules Drafting and Non drafting races.
If you have any questions you can contact Andy or Paul details below:
- Andy Rawley IRC Head Coach - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Ekgren children series coordinator - email@example.com
Just to finish off over the past years we have spent in Triathlon we have learned how much of a role parents play in the development of Triathlon in the NW we have a great race series great numbers and great talent being developed in our Academy. So if you think of anyone who meets the criteria above who is not yet in the sport and would like to give triathlon ago encourage them to get involved and let us know.
- British Triathlon IRC information booklet for parents, coaches and athletes
- Wheel Regulations for 2018 Season for DRAFT LEGAL races
- For the Gear and Maximum Rollout Distance Table, please visit here
- Tips for draft legal events visit HERE