This qualification is designed to build upon the knowledge, skills, and competencies developed through the Foundation Coach or Level 1 qualification. On completion, you will be able to independently plan, prepare, deliver, and evaluate coaching sessions, and mentor and oversee fellow coaches. You will be able to help participants prepare for Triathlon racing.
The course follows a blended learning approach involving a series of self-led online learning modules, an online workshop facilitated by a tutor, two face-to-face development days and a series of home study tasks.
Pre-requisites and Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum age: 18 years.
- Core or Ultimate Membership.
- Level 1 or Foundation Coach qualification or entry through the direct entry scheme.
What will I learn?
- Understand the requirements of the course and the assessment process.
- Understand the role of a group coach.
- Recognise good practice for Group Coaches, taking into consideration professional ethics, values, and adherence to appropriate legislation.
- Establish and maintain a safe coaching environment.
- How to plan safe and effective coaching sessions and programmes.
- How to deliver safe and effective coaching sessions and programmes.
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of coaching sessions and programmes.
- How to engage, communicate with, and support participants in the safe enjoyment of coached activities.
- Understand swimming technique, conditioning, and race tactics within Triathlon.
- Understand open water swimming technique, conditioning, and race tactics within Triathlon.
- Understand cycling techniques, conditioning, and race tactics within Triathlon.
- Understand running technique, conditioning, and race tactics within Triathlon.
- Understand transition, conditioning, and race tactics.
- Understand the principles of developing techniques and skills.
- Understand the sports science implications for coaching Triathlon.
- How to develop yourself and members of the coaching team.
- One online workshop facilitated by a tutor.
- Four self-led online learning modules.
- Two face-to-face development days.
- Home study involving coaching 6 sessions.
Task 1 Practical Coaching Observation
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your coaching abilities by planning and delivering a 15-minute coaching activity. You will deliver the activity during the face-to-face development day, with a group of other learners on your course participating and the course tutor observing.
Task 2 Coaching Programme
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your coaching abilities by planning, delivering, and evaluating a full coaching programme consisting of a series of 6 sessions in the club environment. This will involve:
- Identifying a participant group and creating a profile
- Creating an outline plan of your coaching programme and planning each individual session
- Delivering and evaluating each individual session
- Holistically evaluating the coaching programme
To complete this task, you will also be expected to submit video evidence showing you coaching a section of one of the coaching sessions.
Task 3 Individual Coaching Session
You will demonstrate your coaching abilities by planning, delivering, and evaluating an individual coaching session in the club environment. To complete this task, you will be expected to submit video evidence showing you coaching a section of the coaching session.
Task 4 Professional Discussion
You will engage in a 30-minute professional discussion with your course tutor. The discussion will serve as an opportunity for you to showcase your coaching journey and demonstrate your coaching abilities, as evidenced in the previous assessment tasks.
The Group Coach Award is endorsed by CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity), meaning our course meets all the requirements of CIMSPA's Coach Professional Standard. Once you qualify, you're eligible to become a CIMSPA Practitioner member. This membership confirms to employers, clients, colleagues, and the public that you've got the necessary qualifications and keep up with continuous professional development (CPD). It's a straightforward way to show you're on top of your game in the coaching world. To find out more, click here.
Find A CourseScottish Group Coach Courses